If you become unemployed, you may qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. These benefits are intended to provide temporary income as you seek new employment. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed and able to, available for, and actively seeking suitable full-time work.
- DOWNLOAD UIA Fact Sheet CLAIMING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS IN MICHIGAN COVID-19 GUIDE
- DOWNLOAD UI-101 COVID-19 Infographic on filing for unemployment benefits. NOTE: See NEW FILING SCHEDULE below for updated information.
Apply for Unemployment Benefits - Online or Phone
To help Michiganders receive unemployment benefits as a result of COVID-19, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency has developed a schedule for workers to file for benefits based on the first letter of their last name. If you have access to a computer and internet you should apply online. This will free up the phone lines for people who do not have a computer or who have questions.
NEW FILING SCHEDULE
Online Filing Schedule – Michigan.gov/UIA. (Workers are encouraged to go online during off-peak times between 8 p.m. – 8 a.m.)
- Last names beginning with letters A-L are asked to file claims on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.
- Last names beginning with letters M-Z are asked to file claims on Sundays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays.
- Saturdays will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window.
Call Center Filing Schedule – 866.500.0017:
- Last names beginning with letters A-L are asked to call on Mondays and Wednesdays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Last names beginning with letters M-Z are asked to call on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Fridays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturdays between 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. are open for anyone who could not file during their allotted days.
The Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM) is the UIA’s system for filing your unemployment insurance claim and managing your UIA account online. MiWAM makes doing business with the UIA simpler, faster and more efficient. Use the links below to APPLY for unemployment benefits and access useful information.
The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) has created a playlist of videos to help with each step of the filing process. This is especially helpful if you are a first-time filer. Take a moment to review before filing. NOTE: These are not COVID-19 specific videos and were produced before the outbreak. Refer to the FILING SCHEDULE above to find the days/times for filing.