Governor Gretchen Whitmer has temporarily expanded the eligibility for unemployment benefits.
Unemployment benefits have been extended to:
- Workers who have an unanticipated family care responsibility, including those who have childcare responsibilities due to school closures, or those who are forced to care for loved ones who become ill.
- Workers who are sick, quarantined or immunocompromised and who do not have access to paid family and medical leave or are laid off.
- First responders in the public health community who become ill or are quarantined due to exposure to COVID-19.
Benefits to unemployed workers also will be extended:
- Benefits will be increased from 20 to 26 weeks
- The normal in-person registration and work search requirements will be suspended
Eligible employees should apply for unemployment benefits online at Michigan.gov/UIA or 866.500.0017. A factsheet on how to apply for benefits can be found here.